Don't Feedback In Anger: how to incorporate audio feedback into the formative marking process

 By Gareth Bramley, School of Law 

Close up of a hand writing notes with a pen in a book

 

 

This post was originally written in 2019 and published on the old Elevate blog.

Over the last 3 years or so, I have been piloting the use of audio feedback in my own teaching, specifically 

in relation to formative assessments. My initial interest was piqued by immersion in the literature 

surrounding this difficult issue, together with my own experiences of giving and receiving feedback.


For those that have ever given feedback and subsequently reflected on the process for themselves 

and their students, the literature supports the general questions that often arise:

 

- Are my students reflecting on the feedback I am giving?

- Are my students using the feedback as ‘feedforward’ to subsequent summative assessments?

- Are my students actually aware of what the purpose of feedback is?


The answer to these questions, with traditional written feedback, is often ‘no’. This is particularly 

unfortunate, given both the pedagogical aims of giving feedback and the high level of time and effort put 

in by most staff into the feedback process.


The problematic issues with written feedback are often created by a combination of factors. These 

include: student perception of written comments being negative (particularly when accompanied by a 

mark that is perceived as lower than expected), student perception of a lack of effort put into the 

comments by the tutor, student perception of the written comments not being focused at the specific 

student, and a decrease in students reading or reflecting on the feedback.


The use of audio feedback (that is, the recording of voice comments to replace or support any written 

comments on the script) can address a number of these challenges. In particular, audio feedback can 

be replayed from anywhere (via a device) as many times as needed, with formative feedback the 

student’s name can be narrated to confirm its bespoke nature, audio can lend itself to the natural 

attributes of ‘Generation Z’ learners, and the tone of voice can change the perception of feedback from 

negative to constructive in nature (even where critique is being given).


I did experience some initial challenges and doubts when embarking on the use of audio feedback, 

despite the clear pedagogical benefits stated. In particular, I was worried about whether I would be able 

to get to grips with the technology, what my voice would sound like, and whether I would have to 

re-record things thus leading to a longer process (which many can ill afford, with ever increasing 

marking levels). However, I can honestly say that these fears were quickly allayed. The technology was

intuitive (I used Kaltura Capture, but many other free options are available), my voice sounded clear 

(particularly when I used a plug in microphone) and I found out that students did not mind a 

conversational unscripted style. They felt that this came across as more genuine and that I was an 

active part of their learning process.


I have, therefore, started to record and deliver audio feedback in all of my formative work. As with the 

arm, the voice can get tired, but the level of effort has been richly rewarded where previously it clearly 

has not. Having surveyed students numerous times since embarking on this change, I have had almost 

universal positivity combined with a number of students commenting on how much effort I had clearly 

put in (sadly this clearly had not been recognised before!). I really would encourage people to just give 

it a go, and to perhaps start small if they have similar fears. Remember to work with a learning 

technologist to get the finer technical points right, and try to keep the recording relatively succinct 

(studies suggest 5-10 minutes might be the most any student will be willing to take on board, unless the 

submitted piece is complex or long, and audio forms the only form of feedback provided).


Please share your stories with others, and with me if you do give it a try – I really hope it leads to a more

 rewarding feedback experience for both you and your students.